Find out by attending LOCAL & FAMILY HISTORY!
8-Week Course Starting Wed. 16th January, 10.30-12.30
East Lothian Works, Lodge Street, Haddington
Following on from the 700th Anniversary of Haddington becoming a Royal Burgh, this 8-week course will focus on the basic sources and methods for learning about the local and family histories of towns in the Lothians (or farther afield depending on students’ interests). Participants will receive practical information and advice to assist them in identifying, locating and interpreting a variety of sources and then using the information in them to explore the histories and families of their chosen places and periods of time.
Classroom presentations will be illustrated with slides and handouts and will cover sources found on Internet websites, CDs and microfilms, as well as in more traditional photographic, printed and manuscript material. By the end of the course students should be able to:
(1) Utilise computers to access and navigate local and family history websites;
(2) Identify, locate and interpret basic sources for compiling local and family histories;
(3) Input information from those sources into software packages to produce a brief history of a particular place of interest during a specified period of time, including:
• Families who resided there and their occupations, businesses, trades and professions
• Institutions and organisations (churches, schools, government, hospitals, societies &c.)
• Events that influenced at least some of the above (plagues, natural disasters, WW1 &c.)
Students will visit The John Gray Centre (local history; archives; museum), Haddington.
How to Enrol in East Lothian Council Adult Education Courses:
• Online through the link below
• In person (by appointment) at East Lothian Works, 9-11 Lodge Street, Haddington
• If you have questions or wish to enroll by phone, please contact 01620 827262
Full course descriptions and enrolment details can be found in the Adult Learning in East Lothian brochure on www.eastlothian.gov.uk
Date: 16/01/19 - 06/03/19
Time: 10:30 and to 12:30pm every Wednesday
Location: East Lothian Works, 9-11 Lodge Street, Haddingtonlink