• 1906

    Neilson Park opens with funds left by George Neilson, a local shopkeeper, who passed away in 1897.

  • 1919

    Discovery of a hoard of Roman treasure (now on display at the Royal Museum of Scotland in Edinburgh) at nearby Traprain Law.

  • 1941

    Three people killed when German planes drop bombs on the town.

  • 1948

    Another huge flood damages much of the town.

  • 1949

    Haddington railway station closes to the public.

  • 1951-52

    Sean Connery working at Stark’s (joiners and undertakers) in the Nungate.

  • 1965

    Haddington is twinned with Aubigny sur Nère in France

  • 1967

    Lamp of Lothian Trust is founded by the late Duchess of Hamilton to bring together the community through restoration of derelict buildings in Haddington.

  • 1968

    The first Haddington Festival is held.

  • 1973

    Completion of the renovation of St Mary’s, including the re-roofing of the choir

  • 1996

    Dual carriageway of the A1 from Edinburgh is extended to reach Haddington.

Designed and Built by © Shaw Marketing and Design 2018