One of Scotland’s oldest bridges, the bridge dates from the 16th century, although a bridge has stood on this site since at least 1282. The 30m bridge was once a main route into the town and was used by numerous invading armies. It was severely damaged during the Siege of Haddington in 1548 and it is likely that the current bridge was constructed shortly thereafter. The bridge consists of three red sandstone arches. The ‘jougs’, used to restrain criminals, were removed in 1672, but criminals were still hanged from the iron hook which can be seen in the westernmost arch.
Find out more here.