This elegant building dates from 1748 to an original design by Scottish architect William Adam. A court-room and assembly room – with pilastered and pedimented gable with a Venetian window – were added to the west side of Adam’s Town House in 1788, over the colonnaded Haddington market. The Town House steeple was replaced in 1831 by architect James Gillespie Graham. A new clock was added in 1835. The bell in the steeple rings at 7.00am and again at 10.00pm to alert Haddingtonians to waking and bed-time. This curfew-bell has rung since 1532.
Find out more here.