St Mary’s Pleasance is maintained for the public by Haddington Garden Trust, a charity that relies on grants, donations and gifts to maintain and develop the garden. The garden occupies 1.6 acres between St Mary’s Churchyard, Lady Kitty’s Garden and Haddington House, which dates from 1648 and is the oldest dwelling in Haddington. Some of the garden’s boundary walls were built by Napoleonic prisoners of war. The garden was designed by the architect Schomberg Scott to a specification of Sir George Taylor, former director of the Royal Botanic Garden at Kew, and reflects the features of a 17th-century Scottish garden.
Find out more here.